Tuesday 26 August 2014

What's in the box?

Over on Frilly and Funkie the challenge this time is 'Hip to be Square'. It's all about ATB's so I've made my first one and entering it in the challenge. It's made out of coasters as I don't have a die.....although the lovely Redanne has since sent me some die cuts to try, so I will have a play with them in the near future....Thank you Anne!


It presented a few difficulties with round edges and trying to make a cube with a hinged lid. Having gessoed it, I painted the edges with antique linen paint, then used potting soil archival on the edges and finally knocked it back with a dry brush of gesso.


I decided to go for a shabby chic look and use Tim's wallflower stash. I cut them to size, distressed the edges and applied to the inside and out. I love the papers and didn't want to hide them so just used some of Wendy Vecchi's clear embossing paste through the doily stencil, once dry, highlighted with some treasure gold. Not as ornate as many but the fitting together of coasters and setting a hinge in took most of my afternoon up so although I had thought about using the other ATB's inside the box, I decided to do something else instead.....so what's in the box??


The feather is stuck to the lid so pops up when you lift it, it was fun to do....


.....hope you enjoyed the post and thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. Love it Ruth, a great way to make an ATB and gorgeous little trinkets inside.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous box Ruth, and a test of patience indeed! And what a joy to see the bird carefully nestled inside in its lovely nest. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ruth, it was so worth persevering with this because it is stunning - I love the wonderful surprise inside too! Beautiful and very creative! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is brilliant,a fab use for coasters..beautifully decorated.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh Ruth, I love your little bird treasure!! Absolutely stunning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth what a beautifuL box! The outside is absolutely stunning. The inside...OMG how gorgeous. Love how you stuck the feather to the lid. Great idea. What a treat to see that beautiful bird inside. I also wanted to thank you for visiting me and your kind words. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a wonderful idea.... hadn't thought of doing something like that... so cute... a bird certainly would love to make a nest in a box... love it... you are way too creative... LOVE IT RUTH... thanks for sharing and glad you got your box done in time for this challenge... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful creation Ruth,I absolutely adore it,you are a very inventive crafter that's for sure :)

    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, how sweet is this box with its lovely bird nest tucked inside. Beautiful work with the coasters. Love the vintage hues and that pretty knob on the top! So happy you played along with us for this challenge over at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Beautiful ATB and love the surprise of the little robin nested in your box. Playing catch up with blogs as things been manic since home from hols. Will be in touch soon.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh such a lovely way to use up your coasters! Lovely surprise inside too.Love it!..thank you so much for dropping by my blog, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Ruth! Another fabulous creation! I have a fondness for boxes, so this is really dear to my heart. I was really fooled by that feather--I thought it was real! Everything about this shows you are a creative genius!!! I'm just so impressed with how you made it out of coasters and then put that functional hinge on! You are also a mechanical genius. If you have a look at my Plan B post, you will see I had to scrap the whole "Hip to Be Square" challenge, but managed to get it into the next one. My attempt at making my own box did not work out. Please bring a pot of coffee if you intend to go through the entire post:). Thank you for your lovely comment on my ATC's. Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.