Saturday 16 August 2014

Time flies...

oops 2nd attempt to post!

A few months ago I mentioned I'd been trying to make a chunky ATC for one of the challenges but that Mr Mojo decided to leave the building, and so he has been sitting there forlornly looking at me from the corner of my work space ever since. However here he now is in all his rusty grungy glory (not sure why he is a he but he is).  Hopefully he will now sit happily on my shelf stretching his rusty wings.



He started off as two wooden stamp mounts (I decided to turn some of my wood mounted stamps into unmounted stamps, but I kept the wood of course). I knew I wanted him to have rusty wings and then a couple of challenges came up that inspired me and pushed me into finishing him. The blocks still had some remnants from my first attempt so I covered the blocks with terminology tissue wrap.


I used broken china and antiqued bronze distress paints for the eroded metal effect of Tim's and wanted to continue this effect throughout.


I already had these die cuts and circles in my stash and the colours just lent themselves to the project. I stamped in potting soil archival on both with some craft stamper free stamps, one is appropriately 'Tempus fugit' (time flies).


Part way through assembly. I've used paper and metal embellishments. I've also used verdigris, black and copper embossing powders, black archival and treasure gold in florentine, spanish topaz and onyxite. 

Some close ups of his rusting body.









Over at 'A Vintage Journey'  they celebrate all things Tim influenced and it definitely is inspired by his vintage grungy approach and techniques, just hope it's eligible. I'm entering for the first time, it's only their 12th challenge!...although I've followed it, I've just not been able to enter before; the theme this time around is of course...'Time Flies'

I'm also pleased to be able to enter one of  SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk challenges for the first time as well. This time it's for the Summer bonus challenge which is based on a mood board, I think I've used virtually all the colours and the corroded metal cogs and gears but just lightened with a bit of blue.

Lastly I'm entering it in the Craft Stamper Take It, Make It August challenge , this month the challenge is to use any of the techniques demonstrated in Craft Stamper this year so far. From June 2014 I've used the eroded metal effects (Distress to Impress) but from the same issue I also used the blistered paint technique (Blistering Barnacles) on some of the metal work and was inspired by Trish Latimers masterclass on inventive feet. I enjoyed doing it... and that's all that matters, thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed the post.

37 comments:

  1. Oooh fabulous, great depth and lovely rustic look xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning Ruth ! What a brilliant idea to use the wood from mounted stamps ! The rusting looks amazing, I'm sure 'he' will take pride of place in your craft room. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ruth this is one stunning piece. I love everything about it especially the verdigris effect and your placement of your cogs. Brilliant.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, this is so fabulous! Amazing texture and the rust looks very real! The whole design is brilliant and what a great idea to use the stamping wooden blocks! Love it!
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely gorgeous Ruth, the rust effect is fantastic with the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, love the grungy rusty texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have managed to make two wood blocks look like real metal - your rusting is fabulous and I love the touches of verdigris. It was fantastic how you managed to incorporate three different techniques from Craft Stamper too! Love this piece. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came back to say a huge thank you for joining in our current challenge over at A Vintage Journey! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth! this is gorgeous, fantastic rusty effect. Thank you so much for showing us how you made it.
    I have been planning to make a chunky ATC and the wood is still sitting there looking at me so I appreciate the time it has taken you to get round to making it. It was worth the wait Lol!
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing project, fantastic rusty effect

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your creation is perfect ! I love your "rusty metal"...
    Thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges
    Coutureuse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is amazing,just love all the details.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, Ruth!

    This is gobsmackingly brilliant! I am so glad that you joined in our Summer Bonus Challenge at SanDee&amelie's with this fabulous creation of yours! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful art with us! Will for sure have some more close looks at all the awesome detail there is to find! Brilliant, brilliant stuff!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Completely and utterly fabulous, Ruth - stunning rusty verdigris effects and amazing layering of all those wonderful steampunk elements. I'm in love with this! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey with this showstopper!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is my favourite creation by you,Ruth. Stunning and I love it....but then you know I love everything rusty and grunged up of course :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! amazing project Ruth! The rusting effects you have created are just stunning and I love all the individual elements and details you have used. Just fabulous! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Time Flies challenge. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a work of art, Ruth! I love how you got him so rusty! Thanks so much for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It, Make It :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous! Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic way to combine these techniques to create a real steampunk gem (so pleased you included the Eroded Metallics too!) I love how those cogs and clock appear to tumble down over each other. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, that's fabulous with a stunning rusty effect and many beautiful steampunk elements!! Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing piece the rust the configuration - everything -simply brilliant

    Mines up it would be great if you could visit

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore your steampunk project Ruth :-) lots of Rusty goodness and I love the verdigree look. The wings and cog layers are stunning. Such a perfect entry for Terry's Time Flies challenge. Thank you for sharing with us at A Vintage Journey and I hope you will hop on board again.
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Truly a stunning piece Ruth. Genius use of the stamp blocks and fantastic rusting and verdigris. Love how you have constructed and designed it all. Brilliantly done - hope it has pride of place on display. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...the blistering barnacles adds a real life to this. And the cogs for feet is something I haven't seen before and they look brilliant!
    Thank you for joining us at the Craft Stamper Take It Make It challenge.
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous what a great make, love the feet. Thanks for sharing with us at the Take It Make It Challenge. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Ruth, this is BEAUTIFUL! A great idea using the wooden stamp mounts and there's stacks of creativity and originality in your project, such a fab interpretation. Delighted you joined in with our 'Time flies' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Chris xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, I abolutely LOVE this! The texture and the colours are amazing! Thank you for joining SanDee&amelie's!
    Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!! This is amazing ..... so much detail. Love the aged rusty look to it all, and clever use of those wooden blocks too. Thanks for joining in with the Take It Make It challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning Ruth...he is a chunky god:-)
    so happy you joined in the Take it Make it challenge xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Flipping heck Ruth, that is AMAZING! So much to look at, love it! Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Blog Challenge this month! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations on being a pinnworthy at a vintage journey!! I told you this was amazing and I'm so glad you received a recognition for it ;) well deserved!! Hugs
    Ingrid x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can you hear that sound? It's my jaw as it hits the floor! This is a fantastic work of art! I'm so happy for your Pinworthy win--very well deserved. I see a future for all those Stampin" Up blocks I've been hoarding, cleverly disguised in a vintage suitcase. Love this and that wonderful rust--spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  33. very cool - I would never have guessed that is a wooden stamp base! I love how you imitated the copper bluing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. How wonderful your lovely owl is, very clever & quite special. Congrats on your win too x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have just looked again at all the lovely colouring and then realised he is not really an owl - silly woman that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such an amazing creation, congrats on your win at A Vintage Journey, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.