Friday 22 August 2014

Tag time

Thank you for all the kind comments on my last post....... straight down to business this time. I've not finished my ATB yet but I have completed a tag which I am entering in The Sunday Stamper challenge which this week is about backgrounds. I'm also going to enter it in Tim's August challenge 2014 .
It will be the first time I've submitted a Tim tag, (honest!), I've just never got around to it in time, but as it was about following your muse I really could do anything. I have used quite a few of the elements from the original and been inspired by it, though looking at it you may wonder...



Anyway I'll just explain the grungy background (as we are concentrating on backgrounds for Hels challenge), I started the background a while back and used the ray stencil and I spread some Wendy Vecchi crackle embossing paste through it. Then for some reason I wiped my brush which had gesso on just over it. I used distress stains but of course the gesso resisted them so I just put it to one side for a while.....then went back to it for this challenge, rubbed some of the crackle off which rubbed some of the paper away and when I applied the stains, they really sank in, I was starting to like it now.


I used a few of the stamps from the mercantile set ( love the alphabet script stamp), filmstrip, stitching, remnant rubs word band and a pen nib. I also went 'off piste' and instead of using tissue tape I decided to use some book text which I stamped onto and then used foil which I placed under 3 fragment pieces. To finish, crinkle ribbon, a little treasure gold which picked up the crackle and gilding pen around the edges....and that's it. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for dropping by...

28 comments:

  1. What a fabulous effect you achieved by rubbing the crackle off Ruth! Love the earthy tones on this tag too....my favourite colour palette. Fabulous tag altogether!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really surprised this is your first Tim tag,Ruth,that challenge is made for you!

    Love this,I can't believe how wonderful Wendy V's crackle paste is. The texture you have created here is stunning and I love the little fragment pieces, a gorgeous grungy tag :)

    Have a great bank holiday weekend

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. how FAB is your background, there's sooo much to look at... LOVE your tag muchly... thanks for joining in with the sunday STamper x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow fabulous tag Ruth and totally amazing background.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tag Ruth love how rubbing the crackle away let the Distress Stains soak in. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, this is gorgeous, I am in love with the beautiful background you have created on this wonderful tag! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Ruth, fabulous background with amazing structure...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth this piece is just stunning the background is amazing the crackle delicious

    X Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastis background techniques, love the tag Ruth. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes oh yes , this is simply divine x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A first and I seriously hope not a last! This is absolutely gorgeous Ruth. I love how that happy accident of removing some of the background and strengthening the colour in some areas has made a dramatic effect. Loving the foiled number blocks too. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well to be really honest, at first I was a little unknowing of how I felt... I studied it... and then read all that you wrote about it... and then looked at it again and fell in love with all of it... 100% TRUTH... it is really lovely... strong and absolute... very YOU... love it all Ruth ... a great tag... (I really love the delicate colors too.. just elegantly created... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! How could I miss this?!! This is one of the best takes on a Tim tag ever! LOVE LOVE LOVE this, Ruth!

    Claudia xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, Ruth, you created a fabulous grungy background here! I'll keep my inky fingers crossed for you so good luck with the challenge!
    I'll let you into a secret... I never made any of the Tim's tags either.. Not one! I never thought I could but maybe one day I'll give it a go myself.. Maybe next month.. :)
    Thank you so much for your kind comments.. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Ruth shout it from the rooftops! you are one of the winners for your August tag CONGRATULATIONS! so pleased for you. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats to you!!! What a super original and gorgeous take! love the tiles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously pleased for you Ruth! I suspect you'll be entering again now! Huge hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Huge congratulations from me too Ruth! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love you take on Tim's tag!!! Totally original. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your tag. Looks like antique gold fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Your background is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. so much to look at!! love love love
    congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your Timmy win, I love your tag! Such yummy colours.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations Ruth on your Tim Tag win!!! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your Tim tag win! Well done Ruth.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  26. A huge CONGRATULATIONS to you Ruth! What a wonderful piece of art. I absolutely LOVE your tag and the background is just divine and the fragments look amazing too. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is amazing! Somehow I missed this; but I saw your name listed as one of the August tag winners on Tim's blog. I haven't gotten to Tim's blog for awhile. I just am so happy for you!!!! I know you must be on cloud 9. You go, girl!! I'll be sure to follow you, if I can figure out how to do that. Your work is very inspirational to me. Thanks for sharing your talents! Congratulations, again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations for wining...so well deserved!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.