Monday 4 August 2014

Leftovers

Sorry I've not posted as much recently, but I've not had as much to share with you, (work does get in the way) but it was lovely to be able to craft yesterday and I've been using up leftovers, scraps or 'Bits and Pieces' which is The Sunday Stamper challenge this week. As soon as I saw the challenge I thought great, I should be able to submit something this week.


Then I set myself the extra task of just using the bits on my work space and not the bit box....well it's really 2 boxes and a large bag! These are the bits I had a choice of, as you can see there is definitely a blues and purple theme going on.


I chose the large blue and pink tag as the background though it isn't one of my makes. When I was at the PaperArtsy stand at Doncaster, Darcy demoed her home made tag size gelli plate with frescos and gave me a print she pulled with instructions to make something with it....well it's taken me a few weeks and pink and blue aren't my first colour choices but it was a great starting point.
There are a few unfinished pieces in the pic, the other tags were the CC3C layering stencil texture paste challenge. I do have good intentions but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who hasn't made it to a challenge or 2?


I've edged the tag with walnut stain DI then added a piece of Martha Stewart punched paper from a scrapbook page. The trimming was used on the plaster from my fresco post and the piece of back ground paper was painted with luminarte silk glazes....more about that in another post  to be shared. The stamping on the tag is with the PA mini 62 stamp in violet archival and the 3 squares you might recognise from a master board post I did a while back with Ellen Vargo stamps. The bits of ribbon are just that, pieces I've trimmed and not thrown away even though they are scraps, it's amazing what you can use up.


A bit further on and more ribbon, washi tape, torn paper and ephemera from my desk.. even the butterfly,ticket and buttons used were freebies that came with an order from 'The Funkie Junkie'. I then used some snowflake and stone fresco to give a very light dry brush over the tag and trimming, just so it knocked the colour back a bit and tied all the elements together. The sentiment is Lin Browns and I've added walnut and aged mahogany DI to blend it in.

In the end I did add a few other elements from the bit box. The leaves were left over die cuts of cotton paper from my emboss resist post and the flowers were handmade and intended for the recent 'Our Creative Corner' challenge of handmade flowers and dyed ribbon but I just didn't have time to complete the project in the end. Nothing wasted though, the only other additions were 2 keys and of course treasure gold in florentine and spanish topaz. I wouldn't have thought those initial colours would have worked together with brown tones, but I'm quite pleased with the end result.


I'm also going to enter this in the The Artistic Stamper August challenge which this month is 'Anything Goes'. It's the first time I've not used an Artistic Stamper stamp when I've entered but I still get one chance in the draw! Thanks for stopping by and hope you get chance to create something today!

12 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Ruth. Love those flowers and the colours are beautiful.
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing layered tag Ruth, hard to believe it was just made from scraps on your desk!!! I absolutely love this, so beautifully put together! So glad you found some time to play!!! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it is a wow from me too Ruth! You have made fantastic use of the bits and bobs from your desk, the colour choices are beautiful and the design is wonderful. I would love to be able to put something so creative together with things on my desk! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tag here Ruth. The different layers and elements have come together beautifully. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry Ruth,nearly missed this! Such a beautiful creation,absolutely adore the colours and those flowers are beyond wonderful,adore the lot!

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ruth! Who knew leftovers could look so beautiful! But then again... they were your leftovers so it is to be expected that you would make something so amazing with them! Your tag is stunning! Gorgeous colours and details...
    Hugs
    Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really stunning, Ruth - I love the delicate colour palette and gilding, and the lovely text and script hovering here and there. Gorgeous work. Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Artistic Stamper.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruth, thanks for the visit. Love the tag it's gorgeous we should make more from leftovers that way we wouldn't end up with boxes and bags of bits.
    The colours work so well and lovely detail too.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, gorgeous tag Ruth, love that you used all those bits and pieces up... your desk must be a smidge tidier... surely? LOL Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Tag Ruth... Love all the bits and pieces... the arrangement is super great... love the mixture of things you have on here... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ruth love your left overs tag, it looks as if you had fun making it. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog too.x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.