Thursday 6 October 2016

Elements of Nature at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, 'Elements of Nature' is our next challenge over at Stamps and Stencils this month. Autumn is our talented host this time around and here's how she describes her challenge. Whether you are inspired by the glorious world around us with the changing seasons, or tempted to use elements of nature in your art work, this month we'd love to see your nature inspired entries.  Anything goes as long as you include a natural element in your art which can be either stamped or an actual item!  As always you need to include stamping or stenciling.

This is my take on a herbarium - 'a systematically arranged collection of dried plants'...with a good sprinkling of artistic license thrown in!


I started off by removing the glass from a cheap frame from the Range and found some book text paper which just fitted in the background. I used versamark through a stencil and clear embossing powder on the paper. This gives the paper a translucency showing the text on the other side.


I washed a coat of zesty zing fresco paint over it and dried it. The frame was white so I painted it black and heat embossed a leaf image in gold all over it before aging with more black fresco paint and a tickle of treasure gold.


Next I used a leaf stencil with snowflake paint all over the background....


...before 'bump' stencilling in shades of green over the same area.




Next a walk with the dog to pick some seedheads from a plant that I know as cow parsley (not to be confused with hemlock, which does look similar). Colour them with gold sprays and embossing powder.


To alter the skeleton leaf I stencilled versamark through a stencil before carefully heat embossing in gold. Some white and brown ink splashes to age the piece and stamped identification labels finish this exhibit...


Please hop across and see what the talented team have created and hopefully inspire you to join in with the challenge. As always thanks for stopping by x

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Ruth, I am totally impressed by this spectacular piece of art! What a beautiful way to use all those wonderful nature elements! I love how you did the background and this is something I am definitely going to try! That embossed skeleton leaf is simply stunning! Love it!
    Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly stunning Ruth! Love the 'bumped' stencilling and the embossed stencilling on the booktext but my favourite bit is the beautiful fragile skeleton leaf. It's wonderful!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoooW, Ruth I am so impressed - what an ART you have done. !!! I love it.
    Thank you ever so much for sharing.

    Kind regards
    Mariane
    http://cordes.re/blg/wind/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning piece of work. Love it. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous Ruth x Love the amazing background you created by altering the paper. The snow-white leaf looks wonderful too. then the addition of the powders...............amazing

    TFS and best wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a magical piece of nature art,-and very much of you!! It is stunning dear Ruth.
    Your stenciled background looks so fabulous, already from the beginning with the clear embossing, and wow,the leaf stencil on top !!! Then comes your gorgeous skeleton leaf ,oh my,it is so fantastic !! You are creating such beauty !! Hugs, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really a great work !
    My admiration .
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOoooo the gorgeous fragility of that gold embossed skeleton leaf blows me away. This is absolute perfection! Totally Pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Ruth, a truly unique, inspiration piece of art! Hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Ruth, I absolutely love this! I've seen this stencil bumping technique, but it has always been too bright for my taste. Seeing it here in these muted colors really makes me want to give it a whirl. I love that you altered the frame to coordinate with your collage. Beautiful work! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is do very delicate and beautiful ruth. I love how you have built it up. Its perfect. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous Ruth! I always love when you included pieces of nature in your art! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous Ruth, wonderful neutral colour palette and love the layers and delicious textures. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow Ruth, your herbarium is beautiful - I love the 'bumping' and the skeleton leaf is just stunning. So, so beautiful!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this is fabulous, I love this herbarium and the way you have created it. This is really gorgeous!! Thanks for the great step-by step in pictures too. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, Ruth. This just makes my heart sigh with happiness. Glorious inspiration for a lovely theme.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.