Thursday 4 June 2015

'Small is beautiful'

Hi, it's time for our June challenge over at Stamps and Stencils and the very talented Julia has chosen the theme this time. Here's what she has to say about it. For this challenge you are asked to make or alter something small. This could be a tiny book or journal, an ATC or ATB, a small canvas or box/tin of similar size - anything as long as it is small.You must use at least one stampand one stencil on your project.

Well I quite like making small things so I had lots of ideas but eventually settled on altering a small ATB (3.8cm). It's very quirky for me, so I'm hoping at least one visitor I know may like it.. DG?


A few years ago I never really 'got' art dolls, things have changed and I've now become quite smitten, especially by the very talented Trish Latimer's art doll creations. I was influenced by her work in creating mine...though you might not think so :-)


I used copper wire for wings and the colour scheme just grew from there. The photo above is on canvas but I swapped it at a later stage for a larger photo as the canvas didn't look right. I used greyboard squares for the panels.


We have to use at least one stamp and one stencil this month..well I used 2 stencils with art basics graphite texture paste and 3 stamps with the triple embossing technique (see Yvonne's fab tutorial here


Copper treasure gold..in abundance!


Cotton reel painted in black gesso and some text stamping with copper embossing (of course) and I used some texture paste on the base panel.



Still not sure if the photo is too large but I wanted to use the image of my mother when she was about 10. Paper flowers transformed the same way and some beads in gel with mica powder.


It was so difficult to choose which panel should be on the front, as I liked them all.


The graphite paste has a sparkle which catches the light as well as the sheen from the copper.


Please hop across here for all the details and visit the rest of the very talented DT creations, hope you'll be inspired to join in, we can't wait to see what you come up with!

21 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw this Ruth I fell in love! Like you, I am still learning to 'get' art dolls but this little one could be the turning point for me. I just love what you've done with those panels and the cotton reel thingy. I I like the face just as it is - the image of your Mum had a modern look about her and this works so well with the rest of the items in your piece. Love!!
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I managed to post the same comment three times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeos..what a wonderful project with so much texture and all came together so well to this amazing doll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant Ruth, I love the texture and copper colour. You should make more of these, quirky is such fun ;)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this Ruth I just loooove!!!! Such a fabulous idea and so well created
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Ruth! I love all the patterns on your block, and the metallic effect works wonders! Love it! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never cease to amaze me Ruth with your talents. Loving the copper and graphite together.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Ruth ! Love the little panels, the texture on all of them is gorgeous. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Ruth and the photo of your mum is gorgeous, I think this could be a future challenge...
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like it! Wow Ruth, I love it! I can see Trish's influence but you have stamped your own style on it in a wonderful way. The stamped squares are amazing and I really love all the copper too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous art doll project Ruth, love the textures on the panels , the wire wings and the lovely photo you added.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an inventive make Ruth...you altered all the materials in a lovely creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Ruth, you definitely 'get' art dolls now, what a wonderful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't honestly say that I 'get' art dolls but I do love looking at them and how people have made them. Yours is fabulous Ruth and I love all that gorgeous texture. The photo of your Mum is lovely and I think it's the perfect size.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Ruth, this is just such a darling little art doll... the copper tones just enhance it brilliantly and keep it together, some eye popping textures which are pure eye candy too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous and incredible all at once Ruth!! LOve her!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So amazing, -I love the squares, Ruth, and how you made the flower look like a metal one, fantastic finish with the copper tones, and the photo of your mother as a girl, is a wonderful idea.
    Dorthe xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this Ruth, gorgeous texture and the photo is perfect. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So quirky and interesting - and all those metallic textures are great. What a lovely photo of your mother at the heart of it too.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow Ruth ! This is fabulous - I am just beginning to get art dolls myself ! I have always admired others but am getting around to the idea that I could have a go! Yours is obviously a huge success with all that fabulous texture and rich colour! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.