Tuesday 22 July 2014

Fresco

Today I am very happy to be sharing this project, I made it for the Top Talent spotlight over at Our Creative Corner. Please hop across you'll find out a little bit more about me alongside my finished project. Such an honour...thank you OCC!

So what did I decide on, well they said anything goes...


....so I decided to get plastered.... read on


I started with an 8x8 box canvas and added a variety of torn scraps of paper. I had an idea that I wanted to try and create vintage worn images on a rough plaster wall and at this stage wasn't sure what would show through but wanted to add some depth.

I had some resin plaster and just mixed it up and poured...oooh!


I then added a variety of textures and trimmings and before it set removed them.


I scraped away some of the plaster and decided to add some bead gel into those areas. I really wasn't sure whether this would work or where it was going, but I was having fun!


Hopefully you can see the texture. I didn't take photos of the next few steps but after a rough coat of Fresco stone paint I stamped a variety of images onto 1 ply tissue in versafine vintage sepia; a mixture of architecture, scrolls, text and flourishes. The main (beautiful) image is from lost coast stamp designs and was my initial inspiration for the piece.


I used matte medium adhere the images, not forgetting the edges.


Then to bring all those neutral shades to life, treasure gold in renaissance, spanish topaz and florentine. Loved the effect on the bead gel.

I'll leave you with a photo taken in slightly different light. It was an experiment in texture for me and I loved doing it. Thanks for dropping by and don't forget to visit 'OCC' 


11 comments:

  1. Omg Ruth!! I love this! I'm 'texture' mad and what you have created here is a wonderful piece of abstract art!! Love it! I've been meaning to create something similar for some time. Being inspired by Chris Cozen and now you I might give it a go myself! Thank you for the inspiration! Ingrid xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous,love the texture.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning Ruth! All that fabulous texture is definitely a Wow! Love it!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous texture Ruth,it's great just to experiment and see where it takes you :)

    Hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely stunning, Ruth - a really amazing creation with so much glorious texture - wow! Thank you so much for sharing your work with us as our Top Talent this month.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! This is gorgeous Ruth! Wonderful texture & effect! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You clever girl Ruth, gorgeous texture, love it to bits.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruth, I come from OCC :) Thank you for this very interesting tutorial on your great canvas, absolutely gorgeous. I love the texture and everything, it's fabulous!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There Ruth!! Congratulations on your Top Talent Spotlight at OCC! This is a very cool canvas! I love how you achieved all of your textures and that bead gel--That's Awesome!! I have not used that product and am not familiar with it, but your use of it on your canvas, then coated with gold--it's beautiful! Congrats again!! XOXO-Shari T.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful canvas Ruth ! I love how you've created texture and bead gel is a new on me too so will have to do some research ! Congratulations on yout Top Talent Spotlight too ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful canvas Ruth ! I love how you've created all the texture and bead gel is a new one to me too so I'll need to do some research ! Congratulations on your Top Talent Spotlight too ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.