Thursday 3 August 2017

Technique School at Stamps and Stencils!


Hi everyone, over at Stamps and Stencils this month the theme is ... 


The lovely Autumn is our talented host this month and here's what she wants us to do...

'This month we want you to play teacher and share a favorite process or new experiment.  Document your findings with at least one process photo.  We can't wait to see your technique tutorials and new ideas!  Remember to use stamps or stencils or both! '

I've recently had great fun making envelope journals so thought I'd share a short video on how to assemble one (apologies if I sound a little quiet towards the end...think my family would say I'm muttering again!)


Brief step outs now and lots of photos...brayer any paint on before assembling....and yes the paint is called London Night NOT London Fog as I said in the video...oops!


I used crackle glaze underneath snowflake and chalk paint just to add a bit more texture.


I used a 'bump' stencil technique to create a shadow effect with the Seth Apter stencil, squid ink underneath gold fresco paint.



I wanted a contrast to the almost aubergine tones and chose chartreuse adding little flecks in. I used a Lin Brown stencil here and of course a little gold had to creep in too..


Stamped skeleton leaves and lace



Love this motif


Book text and UTEE




Lace, skeleton leaves and journalling




The final pages



I really hope you're tempted to join in and share a favourite technique..you only need to show one process shot....for even more inspiration please hop across and see what the rest of the DT have created but whatever you're doing...have fun! R x

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creation Ruth. Love how natural it all looks making it flow together and join in union. Thank you for sharing your process a wonderful make.. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous textural little book and a lovely way to use those envelopes. Love the natural feel and yournuse of fabric too. Great video. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful video Ruth and your mini book is quite simply ... gorgeous! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really wonderful Ruth, what a treat! I can't wait to try this. A truly amazing and artistic project. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool and artsy!! Love the finished result!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I love this (and Lesley tipped me off re the subtitles; just hilarious!! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this Ruth, and could have done with these instructions before I joined Chris Cresswells circle journal group this time as we have done envelope journals. Great video! Xx 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant love the result and fabulous video must have a go at one of these
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Beautiful pages and fab techniques Ruth!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very beautiful, dear Ruth, I love the pages, and textured layers, you are so inspiring ,with your nature creations , and the beauty you create.
    Have to wait see the video, but you can be sure I will !!
    Hugs from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always meaning to make an envelope journal, so this is perfect inspiration and instruction, thank you! Love the almost monochrome look, and brilliant use of Seth's stamps, the leaves, and the book text as motifs. Altogether delightful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous project Ruth, love how easily it all comes together and is so effective. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh Ruth! This is so gorgeous!! Thank you for the video- I would love to sit and play art with you in rel time!
    Thanks so much for your visits! I just found the comments in my spam! I don't know why!
    Anyway, I haven't been around much myself, but am trying to do better!
    See you again soon!
    hugs,Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful mini-album of envelopes Ruth, with a great video (thanks again!), a post full of inspiration... I love the beauty and elegance of yours, fabulous!
    Corinne xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous little book and great instructions. Now I want to make one of those. The way you have decorated each page is outstanding and was simply drool-worthy.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful little book! love the base of envelopes and all your beautiful layering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your beautiful envelope book and the wonderful layers you have created here Ruth...so inspiring
    Sending my best wishes
    Hugs Annie xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.