Thursday 5 May 2016

Think Pink at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, Branka is our lovely host for the May challenge at Stamps and Stencils and here is how she describes 'Think Pink!'

'I love to use pink colour in my projects especially the fluorescent pink. For this challenge we would love to see a mixed media project that has some pink in it somewhere! The possibilities are endless! Don't forget to include some stamping or stencilling or both in your mixed media project and remember we are a mixed media challenge blog!'

Well, as Branka had suggested 'include pink' I had every intention of using a few different colours and not just pink, but the blooms once made asked to go down the vintage, shabby, soft shades of rose and blush pink....so I just had to listen!


To start with I've used  my larger Finnabair art journal and prepped the white pages with some clear gesso. I've also had a large Donna Downey flower stencil 'Marigold' that I've been wanting to use for a while now and thought I'd use some of the techniques I learned from her online Inspiration Wednesday class last year (although I have to confess I still haven't completed all the pages....)


I used chalk fresco paint through another large DD stencil 'bubbles'.


Next some light modelling paste spread very thinly through the flower stencil.


This is an opaque paste, but you can still see traces of the bubbles through it.


Once thoroughly dry, I replaced the stencil and applied Golden gel matte medium onto the petals, I removed the stencil (remember to wash the stencil) and then burnished the petals with book text. It doesn't take long at all to transfer probably less then a minute but you need to keep checking and I can't say how other gel mediums will work.


Then gently rub the excess paper off with your finger. The text that remains will be back to front but that's part of it's charm to me. You can still see all the layers, hopefully creating depth and interest.


Next, some glazing. I started with tangerine twist fresco mixed with satin glaze (more glaze than paint) and brushed loosely over the flowers, leaving for a minute before wiping back with a baby wipe until I was happy with the result.


I then repeated with a Bougainvillea glaze and finally a Raw Umber glaze.

Unfortunately I didn't take a photo of the next step, which is another experiment using grunge paste. Some of you may remember a post of mine about brush embroidery called 'What If' . One of the alternatives I suggest is to use a stencil instead so this is what I used this time around. I placed the stencil back in different places and spread grunge paste through it, whilst still in place I used a paintbrush to brush strokes from the outer edge in to the centre. I loved the texture this created on the petals (grunge paste does take fine detail beautifully).


Before I did any painting I left the paste and the pages to dry thoroughly.


Then dry brushing with various fresco paints, some treasure gold and Lindy's stamp gang drips, drops and white paint splats.


I wanted to create different layers of flowers and finished the piece with a Lin Brown text stamp.



Remember the piece you create just has to include pink...but if you like pink then go for it! Hope you'll pop across and see what my talented teamies have created to help inspire you.

Thanks as always for stopping by. x

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, Ruth, this is beyond stunning! What you did on your background is simply super cool! Oh, I am really impressed! A fantastic stencil work and layering! All I want to do is to touch this brilliant piece of art! I love your combination of pink and gold, it's so pretty!
    Big hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is so beautiful! The blend of colours and the fabulous texture had me lingering at every stage! Truly, truly beautiful!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artful blooms - such perfect words Ruth, this is an incredible piece of art! The pink shades are really beautiful (and I don't really like pink...) and your flowers are so elegant - the backword words add a real charm to your finished page. I found this quite uplifting! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Ruth! The grunge paste really added a great layer of dimension. Cool technique! The dry gold over the texture is so beautiful and I adore the gel medium book page layer - fabulous! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. your pages look amazing - I really love the texture and its brilliant seeing how the project developed Ruth - fantastic work! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flouncy and fragrant and feminine. Love your experiments Ruth and what tremendous results! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning, Ruth... I adore the burnished book text on the petals and the soft peachy tones of pink, so warm and subtle. Great effect with the layering of the glazes and the dry-brushing, and the brushed grunge is a brilliant touch. Wonderful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is so inspiring, thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow This is beautiful! I love pink anyway but the textures you created with the marigold stencil is superb. Thanks for sharing how you achieved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely fantastic. I love the texture and soft colours - so pretty. Coming to your blog is like going to a master class - thank you.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pages Ruth, and I love the brushed Grunge Paste. That DD stencil is just yummy too ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant pages, Ruth!! Thanks for sharing process, very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Artful indeed Ruth! Your journal pages are just stunning - the layers of texture, the text transfer and the wonderful mix of colours. Just amazing and a delight to work through your process. As everyone else has said - very inspiring! Have a lovely weekend. Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous pages Ruth beautifully made and love the colours too. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marvelous pages Ruth and I LOVE that you shared these techniques!! How cool- looking forward to trying the pages one!!
    Happy Mother's Day dear friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely superb pages Ruth! Such beautiful colours and the way you layered those flowers is truly gorgeous! I also now MUST HAVE that fabulous stencil!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful. Thanks for taking is through all the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, it is gorgeous,-it is so beautiful, Ruth.
    Thank you for the -how to- I am so exited about the gel medium burnished with the papers, and your wonderful result !!
    Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.