Thursday 5 October 2017

The Season of Autumn on a Tag...at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, it's time for the October challenge at Stamps and Stencils and Toni is our talented host this month...I'm so pleased with her choice which is based on a wonderful line from a poem by Keats. Here's what she wants us to do.

Autumn:' The Season of  Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness' I'd love to see your projects that are inspired by this beautiful season. You may love the rich, warm colours or the shapes of fallen leaves and natural forms. Let us celebrate the wonders to be found around us. The only catch, is that I'd like you to use a tag or several tags, as your substrate. Your tag can be any size or shape and made of any material but it must be a tag. It must also feature some stamping, stenciling or preferably both. I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!


As if I wasn't inspired enough, Alison Bomber's latest stamp releases from PaperArtsy include an autumnal plate which has a quote from Anne of Green Gables. All the quotes are wonderful but this one sold it to me. I was and still am very fond of this series of books and this quote just evokes such images and memories for me....Autumn yes it may be cold, wet and windy at times but oh what a riot of colour!

Forget summer when flowers are big and blousy and fighting for your attention, this is when leaves come into their own....


Even one brown leaf  holds such warmth and depth...you may have guessed that I love Autumn ....but if I'm honest I'm so glad I live in a country that has seasons. I will look forward to the frosts of Winter, the acid bright colours that herald Spring and the 'warm' perfumed long days of Summer too, but for now I will enjoy Autumn!


I chose to alter a size 10 tag. A little stencilling in white before a wash of pumpkin soup paint and crackle paste.


Adding further layers of translucent paint, smoked paprika, london bus and yellow submarine, stamping in orange blossom and squid ink around the edges. I've used Lin Brown stamp sets for this.




Instead of card for the leaves I've used off cuts of cartridge paper, I find it holds the paint well whilst giving flexibilty. Fresco paints in browns, yellows, oranges, red, purple and deep chocolate tones too. Stamped and clear embossed and surprise, surprise...touches of  metallic foil and treasure gold.


Assembled with 3D gel


I had 2 choices at this stage, nestle the quote in the leaves or the option I went with which meant I needed something for the centre. Seeds I had from a previous project but I wanted some hawthorn berries. Paperclay and some very easy modelling worked quite well, finished off with gloss glaze.




Splashes of red and white paint to carry the colours through the tag and add contrast.


Sari silk ribbon perfectly matched the tag.


Final close up.


For more autumnal delights and inspiration, hop across and see what the wonderful DT have created. I hope you'll be tempted to join in...can't wait to see your tags! R x

14 comments:

  1. You really have summed up all the glory that is autumn in your gorgeous tag Ruth, the depth of colour is just glorious! I do so agree with all you say about Autumn Ruth! Having grown up in Canada, the sentiment has lots of meaning for me and it is my favourite from Alison's sets. I just love your tag!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ruth, as usual you have taken my breath away with your fabulous tag! Lots of my favourite stamps on there not to mention the glorious Autumn colours. Alison's stamps are top of my shopping list for Saturday, lol!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delight to visit you also today, Ruth.
    This Autumn piece is fabulous, -the background in that yummy tone with the beautiful stamps, your gorgeous leaves, and wow your hawthorn - I love you just made them yourself!!
    I, too, am so glad for Octobers :-)
    Hugs, from Dorthe - Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ruth! This totally amazes me! You are so creative to use these real leaves as inspiration. Your stamped leaves certainly have the resemblance. I adore your painted berries and your yummy background work. The fibre topper is amazing! PS. The link on the S&S site to your post is invalid. Big hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popped in to say that I think your tag is amazing and absolutely stunning! Thank you for the step by step and I too love Autumn and the wondrous colours x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is exquisite, Ruth! It looks like you just scooped up those colourful leaves and added them to your tag, they’re so realistic, as are those berries. Autumn is my favourite season, and October is my favourite month, so I love that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sighing a deep sigh of pleasure - it often happens to me here, but this one is just pure delight. From the depths of that beautifully layered background, to the hint of gilding on the fallen leaves and those wonderful hand-moulded hawthorn berries, this is perfection. And then the words on top of that! So happy they added to your inspiration, and so happy to spend time gazing at this glorious tag (and yes, I'm playing along for sure!).
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah Ruth - what a wonderful piece of art - I love the natural feel to this - your leaves look amazing and the cluster of berries - awesome - a really beautiful tag! Love it! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's beautiful Ruth! Perfect autumn vibe! Love the colours! And those seeds in the centre of the leaves is gorgeous! Very, very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful - love the depth, and detail, and of course, the gold accents here and there! And Alison's stamp is perfect.... wow!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful tag Ruth, love the layering and of course the leaves and this little berries are just perfection ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant. Adore the leaves & berries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The perfect autumnal tag Ruth xx wonderful details and layers of deliciousness, complete with the most delightful quote

    TFS and best wishes
    Annie xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.