Sunday 14 August 2016

Flower power

...or making order out of chaos. Well I've definitely been stepping outside my comfort zone on this artful journey. I love the artwork of Flora Bowley , and she does teach via workshops and online courses and although on my wish list they are out of my price range..however..I noticed on instagram she was doing a short online tutorial via Creative Bug, having looked into it, this was much more affordable so I signed up. I've already learned a lot and trusted to the process for several of the steps but ended up deviating along the way partly because Flora works on large canvasses and this just started as a play in my small journal. However I look forward to practicing her techniques more.


It's not giving the game away to say it involves the layering of colour and mark making. What I quickly realised was that it's difficult to make many different marks on such a small scale that won't just get lost, so the solution for me was to incorporate stencils and stamps. I went way overboard with detail because I knew I wanted to isolate some shapes with either black or white (another deviation) so that whatever area I picked there would be lots of pop.

I won't show the first few layers because they just look bleugh! You have to work through each one but for someone who at times embraces and appreciates CAS this final layer looks like all my fresco paints exploded on the page...and more! I even added some journalling.


I have to be honest it's like the most vibrant crazy masterboard I've ever seen...but I liked it. I may even have to create another in my journal just for fun.


Time to isolate. I wanted to create a repeat pattern for the new 'Pattern' challenge at PaperArtsy and thought about circles and larger flowers that would have shown more of the background off but I was torn in thinking if I left too much background it would still look chaotic. I opted for tracing around a Lin Brown flower stencil. I then used fresco paints in snowflake and nougat to block out the background colour.


Using white or pale paint always knocks back a background and although I loved the 'fresco' effect of painting on plaster it created, the jewel like tones of the flowers were disappearing (this is where I feel a larger flower may have worked better or I should have used black). I decided to emboss them to make them pop.


I added some scratchy lines around the petals and between the flowers to join them before adding a go to quote.


A good journey for me is one where in travelling from one place to another I learn along the way....I really enjoyed this art journey and I'm now eager to travel again. Thanks so much for stopping by and happy creating!

15 comments:

  1. what a wonderful page!! love it... this is just such a great technique to highlight your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonder page or pages ;) - I love the pattern you did... Great work :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautiful ruth - I love this idea - stunning! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving this and it would be a great way to use up leftover masterboard too which I am well into at the moment. That masterboard is to die for it's so rich and bright, love it. Have a great crafty week, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ruth this is gorgeous at the end and I think the colours pop beautifully against the white. The scratchy lines really enhance the effect.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed sharing your journey, I look forward to seeing one in your journal!!. Love the scratchy lines around the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous spread Ruth! I think you are fantastic the way you step out of your comfort zone and create things that are experimental yet beautiful at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So loved reading about your process, Ruth!! Sounds like a wonderful artist to look at - so will be doing so! I am woefully behind in visits - but look forward to catching up with you in the near future.... saw this come in on Facebook, and glad I could see it more up close and personal - it is gorgeous!!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! Love the master board and love the jewel like flowers on the chalky background. You should frame it,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Ruth!! This is absolutely stunning!!! I just love every detail, and in my opinion, you did not go overboard- it is just perfect! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful pages, great technique with wonderful the masterboard. I love it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your "crazy masterboard" is absolutely glorious - I could look at it for hours. So exciting to the eye and it looks like it was great fun to do as well. It was such a smart move to emboss the flowers so that all those incredible layers come zinging to life in the petals, and I love how they pop against the background now. Amazing! Looks like you've been thoroughly inspired by the class.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pages - I love the bright colours and chaotic feel of the masterboard, and I love what you've done with the flowers. The embossing brings them to life. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.