Sunday 19 June 2016

Fabric play and pincushions

Hi everyone, following on from my last post I've been messing around with fabric. I've tried EPP (english paper piecing) before without much success, this time around I've created a pincushion...or maybe it's half a football!


At a recent show I'd picked up some grab bags of PaperArtsy 'minis'. I had some Egyptian cotton on my desk and just decided to stamp all the images on to the fabric in black archival...so why the pincushion?

Well, I'd recently seen someone demonstrating EPP and it tempted me get some of my tilda fabric out and have another go. It's quite a nice thing to do in an evening and not sure what I'll make but I'm enjoying dabbling and it's a work in progress.


I was then trying to think how I could use it and thought a pincushion might be quite a good idea. I found a lovely turtle or tortoise made out of hexagons and pentagons and realised I wouldn't be able to use what I'd made so far but would need to cut out different shapes and that's when I decided to use the stamped images.
I decided not to make feet or a head just a round mound, only when I came to sew it up did I realise in black and white it could look like half a football. Anyway it's made and I'm entering it in the current Fabric challenge at PaperArtsy.

I quite liked the idea of making pincushions and so using some more tilda fabric I created another style of pincushion.


Short post but hope you enjoyed it and thanks for stopping by. Ruth x

12 comments:

  1. what a clever lady you are Ruth - this is wonderful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful AND inspiring, as you'll see! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your pin cushion Ruth x if you like to sew you should check out my mums blog and The Fiskarettes DT, she is called Rita

    Blog is RMG Creations

    TFS and hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely Ruth! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth,this reminds me of "younger" days, when I used to do much patchwork. I love the stamped images and the black/white, creating your wonderful pincushion, and the one in Tilda fabric`s is adorable, I made a lot of them to sell in my shop, when it was still open :-)
    Wishing you a beautiful new week!!
    Dorthe, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Ruth these are lovely! Hope we get to see what you make with your Tilda fabric.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pincushions are so clever and would be great to sell at craft shows! I adore the one with the minis!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brought back an awful memory of a similar project I had to make for school. The thing was so misshapen... Yours is lovely and the flower shaped one is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creative Ruth! these are darling!! xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.