Thursday 11 December 2014

Let's Celebrate! at ATP Exchange

Toni is our host for the next challenge at ATP Exchange and in keeping with the festive spirit she has chosen a celebration theme, for the challenge details please follow the link here.... and just a reminder there is a £10 Artist Trading Post voucher for the winner and this time you have a bit longer to enter....4 weeks!


I decided to pick some of the occasions our family have celebrated this year or going to celebrate and created a wall hanging as a reminder that although there are ups and downs each year, it's the good times we should remember!


I was inspired by the Lynne Perella frame I created at Sue's ATP class (see previous post for a picture). I started off with one of the MDF 20x20 frames and made up some sprays using the above primary element pigments. I received some coasters from a charity that were the perfect size and also had a coating on them so didn't need sealing before I started to alter them.


The frame was sprayed


and dried.....although the central area won't be seen.


The script stamp from the Eclectica ESN11 was stamped randomly over the outside frame and I used Wendy Vecchi's embossing paste through the Prima lace stencil and set aside to dry.


I used a piece of cut and dry foam to coat the coasters with Finnabairs black gesso.


Once dry I used a variety of stamps including CI-257  and Handwritten Holidays 1 from Stampers Annonymous to heat emboss with versamark and clear embossing powder. The 21 was a stencil I made using the Sizzix wordplay die. The same sprays were then used over the gesso and as I was in a hurry to dry them I took the risk of remelting the powder and used a heat gun.......hope I can repeat this happy accident because I love the effect created....the way the pigment has pooled on the embossing.


 We've celebrated a 21st Birthday.


A couple have bought their first home together.


Another couple got married.


And we are about to celebrate Christmas together........the sentiment seemed so apt for this challenge...and it's also my favourite Christmas film!


I used black ice silk glaze dry brushed around the edges, added some filigree corners and set the pigments using fixative (cheap hairspray!). 


Can't wait to see your celebration creations...for more inspiration, please hop over here and checkout what my talented teamies have made. 

A foot note...if you saw the original you may have noticed there are only 4 coasters and no central 5th one...well you know I like experimenting... I started by using snowflake fresco instead of black gesso on 2 of the coasters but when I added the pigment it just didn't look right with the frame so I started to dab it off with the intention of painting over with the black BUT it looked quite pretty so I sprayed more on, sprinkled some pigment on and dried them.....



I only had 4 coasters left so it was meant to be....well I couldn't paint over them could I? No idea what I am going to do with them and it's another I'm not sure whether I can repeat the accident again...but I'll have fun trying!

Thanks so much for stopping by.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely Ruth... Oooooh seems there are lots of products I need to try, this is really wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love the look of this beautiful piece Ruth and I'm so glad you thought outside the challenge in the way I did! I think you have used some gorgeous products and techniques to make this and I will be back to have further looks because I'd like to try some out! Your happy accident looks great to me - let us see what you do with it won't you? Have a great weekend (when it comes!),
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this is just stunning Ruth,I love the way you create all your textures. It looks so lovely and iridescent,absolutely beautifully made,you really are very talented :)

    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow Ruth, this is absolutely stunning, I mean WOW! The way the colours blended together is incredible and I love the emboss resist here, best use of this technique ever!! I think I need to start collecting coasters! Two thumbs up, I just love this! holiday hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should make the pastel two into coasters you use at home they are too pretty to not look at every day Ruth! Such a beautiful frame and some great techniques have produced a definite keepsake piece. Thank you for telling us how you made your frame etc. Fabulous inspiration :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, what a stunning creation, I love the way you experiment and still manage to make a fabulous project! Absolutely beautiful.... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this is soooo pretty, so many fun elements too. Love the way 'it's a wonderful life' came out. Stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous Ruth ! I love how you've used each panel to celebrate a different event, ingenious ! The effect of the sprays is fabulous, and your 'spare' experimental mats are beautiful too ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous project and a wonderful way to record special memories. Each piece looks so different and is do detailed.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning, Ruth! How beautiful the sprays look over the black gesso - and what a wonderful piece to celebrate all those joyful family milestones this year.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous in total...looks so special Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth, this is gorgeous. You have added so much detail, bet you had fun making it.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth, this is gorgeous, both the coasters and the frame are just stunning.
    Love your colours and how they blend and all that wonderful texture !!
    Totally amazing !
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning work, as always, Ruth! Love the black and shimmery together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Ruth! This wall hanging is just jaw dropping! I love the way you have celebrated the important events in your family's year and the Christmas Greeting. It is my favorite Christmas movie, too. Awesome work here!

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.