Thursday 1 October 2015

Blog Hop and new challenge at Stamps and Stencils!

Hi everyone, it's time for our next challenge at Stamps and Stencils and as it's our 6 'monthaversary' we're also having a blog hop. If you've arrived here from Yvonne's blog you're in the right place... if you haven't and you want to join in then hop across to Stamps and Stencils for the details. There's also a PaperArtsy giveaway for one lucky hopper!

On to this months challenge then, Sue our talented DT lead is our host this time around and the theme she's chosen is 'Whatever it is make it 3D!'. Here's my altered tin.


I decided to alter an old tin I picked up in a charity shop that I thought had an interesting shape and set about burning it ...see this post for more details. 


You can just about make out the original design on the lid which was oriental in look and in quite garish colours. However the sides post burning I just fell in love with...happy accident!


Building on that I decided to use alcohol inks sponged over the tin with more on the top than the sides.





I didn't want to add anything more to the tin itself and decided I'd have fun creating a floral embellishment for it.


Stamps and stencils were used on a variety of surfaces.


This is PaperArtsy crunchy waxed Kraft paper with silk glazes brushed on top and heat set...I've used paint before and it doesn't blister just seals it it, but the glaze was another happy accident ...love the blistered effect.


The reverse of the paper with primary elements sprayed and heat set, this won't rub off now, plus some archival stamping.


This is white  Khadi paper (cotton rag paper) sprayed with black glimmer mist (another lost and found product since my craft room makeover) with burnt umber primary elements mixed into 3D gloss gel.


The last surface is clearly for art film stamped with the bubble stamp. I used the tattered florals die to create my flower just layering up and adding some mica flakes to the centre.


This was one of those projects that was a joy to create, happy accidents, quite simple and just came together beautifully.


 The inside which is how I expected the outside to initially look...not sure what I'm going to store in it yet!


 A few detail photos.


Hope you'll be inspired to join and hope you'll hop across to Julia's blog, but before you go you also need a letter from me which is 'C'. 

As always thanks for visiting... Ruth x

36 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful Ruth. Love that you have kept the integrity of the lovely old tin box by using alcohol inks. That layered textured flower is just gorgeous! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing effects all round Ruth, what a stunner! The work with those alcohol inks looks amazing! Very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so pretty and grungy, a beautiful mix up of those two elements. I love the 'petrol' look of the inks xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. An stunning make over Ruth, love the results you got with those alcohol inks.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea Ruth! I have alcohol inks sitting idle, now I have some ideas how to get some value from them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely...the alcohol inks looks great with the burnt tin and the flowers, Ruth look very tin like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out so grungy and not one of those 'so sweet' kinds, haha, really love the box and the flower !!
    http://kalasirjana.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ruth, this is so gorgeous, the box with added inks looks amazing, and my oh my , your flower is a stunning piece. So many beautiful materials and papers used, which you prepared ,perfectly first !!
    Thank you for showing, it is a beautiful post!!
    Dorthe, xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful Ruth. I love how you've aged the tin and I really must have a go at that. The flower pieces are stunning particularly as you've used the different substrates - I absolutely love making flowers and this is amongst the best flowers I've seen for a very long time! Julia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning ! Ruth . Your altered tin is in itself lush - my kind of crafting and then all those altered surfaces are so fabulous - goes without sating then that your flower is exquisite x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, Ruth. I love the dark moody colours, and the shape of the tin lends itself so well to your interpretation. Did you burn it with a butane torch?

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an absolute joy to see this is! I loved seeing the stages of it's transformation! The flower is gorgeous! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get you with your pyromania!! Absolutely amazing effects - so cool with the alcohol inks over the top, and a wonderful flower on the top. Thanks for sharing all those process photos too - outstanding transformation.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! I thought the flower was made out of tin, you have matched the finish perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth
    This is exquisite. To my eye this is the sort of box you imagine for sale in a boutique shop or gallery.
    The effects are astonishing and to top it, that glorious flower.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely delightful tin. Who would have thought that heating the metal would give such a beautiful result. Thanks for all the details on how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this Ruth, those flowers are amazing. hugs Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ruth thanks for the visit to mine and the lovely comments. The tin is a masterpiece, love the gorgeous texture and the flower too. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your project, perfect for this month! Love the products used and have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE the beautiful flower you created! Beautiful design!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Ruth!!
    This box is just totally gorgeous!! I love the use of alcohol inks and those flowers!!! Delsh!! You really did a beautiful job-making it 3d!!
    Jackie xo

    http://www.creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a transformation...gorgeous altered tin...Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I knew this needed to be seen on a big screen and not a tiddy phone, just didn't think it would take me so long to get here, lol! What a stunning makeover for your tin Ruth! It is beautiful and now very classy indeed (can imagine the before, lol) and the flower is gorgeous. Wonderful effect of the burning followed by alcohol inks on the tin ....I must give that a go!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. FAB YOU LAASS!!!! Wow Ruth! I love what you've done to the place! Such yummy colors on that tin and among the flower petals! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS It is so pretty, I almost forgot my letter!

      Delete
  26. The close ups of this are amazing, you can see so much detail, and that flower, well just WOW!

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really stunning project with wonderful ideas

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great project and effects
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh this is just stunning - I love the effect of the burning, such beautiful textures and marks. The inks are beautifully subtle - I love what you've done, and I need to find out more about using them - I have two bottle that I ordered and by the time they arrived I had forgotten what I wanted them for - I must have seen a technique on a blog and thought I'd give it a go!! You have definitely inspired me to play about with them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Amazing alteration Ruth, wow!! And that matching flower is to die for !

    ReplyDelete
  31. Stunning results Ruth, what a gorgeous box! And your idea of simple and mine are quite different, this is amazing! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing project! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun challenge, beautiful work, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a super box, love how you worked your flower, Kathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely stunning. What a lot of fantastic effort on that rose. Love all your happy accidents and thank you for the instructions and inspiration. Glorious project x

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.