Saturday 6 June 2015

Blue Glass

Happy Saturday everyone!  Over at PaperArtsy the current challenge theme is 'Bottles'. I was inspired by Leandras video which included how to paint inside bottles and Emma Godfrey used this method in her post here. This set me thinking and having rummaged around, found one I liked the shape of and decided to experiment. This is the result.


I think the 'glass blue' paint name reminded me of some Swedish blue glass pieces that my mum has. I remember them vividly from childhood, the gorgeous blue and the rough patterned but geometric decoration. I found out they are Ruda glass by Göte Augustssonand here's an example.


Inspiration is just a starting point, for the inside I used glass blue and blueberry fresco and then for some reason decided I wanted some shimmer so I added some mica powder.....looks lovely but the paint took even longer to dry. 


I decided to mask off squares and rectangles and use glass bead gel. 


This usually dries much clearer but the layer was quite thick and I'd also added some interference blue silk glaze ( like you do) which may have affected it. Liked the result but how to make it blue?


Treasure gold in Sapphire and Indigo with some Mica powder dusted for luck. Still not as dark as I'd first thought but I'm happy with how it turned out. Hopefully when it's fully dry inside it might hold a single flower.  It's different anyway!


Thanks as always for stopping by, have a lovely rest of the weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Stunning! I like your wonderful bottle! Amazing Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous!!! Love the color and hues you achieved-and the texture, mmmm ,just as yummy as the inspiration bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous make over, the blues look stunning.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to use the Swedish blue glass as your inspiration. Love your interpretation. That blue is gorgeous. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Ruth - the colours look so rich. I can picture this with a really bright flower in it! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I love this, it has such a retro feel to it, yet seems modern too! I agree with Chris about the bright flower, a gorgeous pop of orange, yellow or red. A beautiful altered bottle hun
    Hugs
    Georgie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this is glorious!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really do have a very unique way of using textures Ruth, love this bottle,really striking :)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic bottle! Love the shimmer Ruth, glad you decided to do that! The glass bead gel really made a great texture and the vibrant blue is the perfect match to you inspiration bottle! Love it. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful bottle!! I love the colours, and the glass bead gel is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love it when you experiment with different things and what a triumph this gorgeous altered bottle is!! Love your inspiration piece and love that blue.... Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So creative with a stunning result Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is just so wonderful Ruth and loving the textural look. It was so lovely to see you again at Doncaster(must really apologise though for my senior moment at the beginning!!) I think I live on a different planet sometimes(lol).
    Hope to see you again really soon
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truly beautiful Ruth ! Love the design and the glass bead gell looks amazing ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ruth I really love this! The colour is gorgeous but I especially like the rough shapes on the outside. A really inspiring project!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great idea with the gel, creating a wonderful pattern, and the treasure gold, and mica, made the pattern stand so beautiful and strong on the blue bottle. What a work, Ruth.
    xo, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love decorating bottles and this is brilliant, love the colours. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bottle is wonderful!!!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So unusual - what a fantastic idea!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.