Thursday 30 October 2014

' Any Old Iron' at ATP Exchange

Hi everyone, I'm delighted to say it's my turn to host the challenge over at ATP Exchange. As a reminder we are a fortnightly mixed media challenge (no digis and you must include stamping) and the winner chosen by the DT will receive a £10 voucher to spend online from our sponsor The Artist Trading Post. 

I've chosen a picture based inspiration theme using a photo I took of a beautiful rusty door...well I think it's beautiful! You can find all the details here.....and some wonderful inspiration from the uber talented DT.


So what did I create?......a rusty, textured, metallic wall hanging.


I've linked all the products I've used and can be found at The Artist Trading Post. I started off with a 10 x 20 hanging icon which I painted with a mix of blood orange and london bus fresco paints. As they are both translucent paints I gave it 2 coats. I then stamped the fine text from PaperArtsy Eclectica ESN11 over most of it with Stazon in Black Cherry. 


I chose Stazon because of the next step which is the eroded metallics technique from Tim Holtz Compendium of Curiosities 3 and I wasn't sure how archival would react. For the technique I used Distress Paint in tarnished brass. 



I then used some peacoat to create some dark edges and blistered the paint with my heat gun. I also added some Viva Ferra in graphite to the same area.


Next good old Crafty Notions puff paint in white. At first I used some stencils to create dots but when I came to put the next layer on I was able to splodge circles on using the tip of my palette knife. Then the heat gun puffed it and the Ferra up beautifully and no I didn't wait for it to dry first.


Next, lots of painting in yellow submarine, smoked paprika, london bus, blood orange and french roast. Drying the colours well in between to avoid creating mud.....can you guess I was impatient and that's exactly what I did first time around?


A little sprinkle of gold and copper embossing powder and some Stampendous shabby white embossing enamel. I then restamped the text in red as it wasn't showing through enough.


The same text in Stazon Teal Blue around the edge.


For the flower I wanted to use metal and a friend kindly gave me some blue metal but I couldn't find the right coppery tone to go with it until I remembered I had saved the inside of tomato puree tubes ages ago. You get a variety of shades and I think sometimes it depends on how long the tube has been in use as there is a more aged look to some of them, anyway..perfect! I used the tattered florals die and elements of the jumbo tattered florals die to create a medium sized flower. 


I embossed the blue with a TH bubbles embossing folder and the copper with a cuttlebug spots and dots one. Sanded both to distress and then assembled. A little spanish topaz treasure gold was added to the blue one. 


To add the little banner I used an adjustable stamp alphabet I had. I needed to choose something short....sorry but just couldn't resist this pun. Its stamped in black Stazon onto copper and I pressed hard to deboss it. I then heated it so the copper took on some lovely shading and attached to finish.


Hope you enjoyed the post and now for more inspiration please do hop over here and see what the rest of the fabulous DT have created. As always, thanks so much for stopping by.

26 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth! It's fantastic! Love the effect of the puff paint! Gorgeous creation! Purée tubes! Who knew?! Thanks for the tip ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a grungy look...nice background and lovely flowers Ruth!
    Greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant hanging Ruth and a fantastic step by step. Love the background (of course) the flower is amazing, but I have to say, the sentiment just made my day! It brought a HUGE smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Ruth, love your oozing rust and Tomtao purée tubes are very useful lol. Gorgeous flower and such a fun sentiment.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ruth! This is fantastic! I am blown away with your genius idea to use puff paint to make a textured background, wow!! Love the metal flower and sentiment, such an incredible project and a fun challenge idea too! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puff paint,what a great idea for adding texture,you are one smart cookie :)

    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fantastic, Ruth - wonderful texture, and colours,- and love the metal flowers !
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh Ruth this is stunning xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that sentiment, very clever and very funny too! Your canvas is beautiful, I love how you used the puffy paint, I have not seen or used it for years but it works brilliantly with your rusting technique Ruth. Love this! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firstly, thanks so much for choosing this as our theme Ruth - I just love rust!
    I just LOVE the textures on your hanging piece and the way you've built up the layers using so many paints and products. The metal flowers are gorgeous too especially with the added texture. Congratulations for such a wonderful challenge. Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous textures and layers, I love all the rusty effects, your hanging looks gorgeous. Thanks for setting a great theme, I realy enjoyed the challenge.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heehee, love that banner! Great way to create a rusty looking piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is Awesome!!! I LOVE all that texture and "rust"!!!! Your flower is fabulous too and the pun made me laugh right away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant wording Ruth, looks amazing on the copper. A spectacular Tag, thank you for the tutorial and the puff paint tips. I could sit and look adoringly at your ArT for a long time, it is so wonderful:-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I love the colours and texture! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just amazing Ruth and so textural. beautiful colours
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous Ruth ! The background textures are fabulous and the metal flower really is stunning ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Ruth this is amazing all that fabulous texture and wonderful colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the textures and colours throughout, makes me feel very autumnal xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Truly awesome and inspiring - the rust is superb. Pinning this for future reference. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing Ruth! Wonderful texture and colours and love the metal flower!

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. This really is fantastic! Such fabulous colour and texture - I just want to touch!! Your sentiment really made me laugh!! Saw this the other day but my phone wouldn't let me comment! Chrisxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your eroded metallic background Ruth and the fantastic texture of the Puff Paint. The metal flowers look amazing. Great challenge theme.

    TFS for sharing the step by step
    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow wow wow ... outstanding and so much texture beauty x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous - thanks for the step by step too Have a lovely evening :)

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.